Friday, May 10, 2013

Dr. Suess Baby Shower




My soon-to-be sister in-law is about to have a sweet baby boy! Yay! More babies! This little guy makes 9 grandkids on this side of the family!! Wow!! So, as expected, I asked her if I could throw her a baby shower!

The theme for her nursery is Dr. Suess and I couldn't have been more excited about it! I went ALL OUT for this shower!! I LOVE Dr. Suess because of how whimsical and versatile it can be!!

First was the invitation. In the beginning of planning, I wanted to go with "Dr. Suess Books" as my main inspiration. I was thinking books for everything (decorations, the cake, etc). So.....my invitation was a modified The Cat in the Hat book. I found an image of the cover of the book on google, copied pages from my book and replaced the words with my own, and then put in some brads to hold the invitation-book together. Here are my pics:

The sun was not out. It was too wet to play. So we sat in the house wishing we could have fun on this day.


"I know it is wet and the sun is not sunny. But we can have baby shower fun that is funny!"

We can all bring a bag or a box and inside them we'll put bottles or sox. Presents for Stacy and the new baby boy. Showering him with things he may need, what a joy!

We thought about it and what fun for you and me! Baby shower for Stacy and her little baby to be! We watched out the window for guests to appear! We can't wait for the party, the date is almost here!

Once I began planning.....I fell in love with all of the story characters. I wasn't happy with just "books" as the party theme. So....I began drawing The Lorax, Horton, and The Cat in the Hat characters on dollar store foam board to incorporate them into my decorations. Then I just used an Exacto knife and cut the little guys out!





I began thinking of how I was going to do the main dessert table. It occurred to me to bring The Cat and the Hat to life!! So I began drawing more on foam board like the window the kids look out, the kite, their mom's dress, etc.  I went shopping to find ANYTHING that looked crazy and/or colorful to create a Suessville experience. I bought frames from the dollar store so that I could put a bunch of Suess quotes on the table. I also bought foam balls, craft sticks, and feather boas to construct a bunch of Truffela trees. Here are some pics:







The cake was crazy. Plain, old crazy. I decided I wanted the cake to be HUGE!! It ended up being the thorn in my side through this whole party. I baked for DAYS, then ended up throwing the icing and decorations on it at 2 am the night before the shower!!! The dumb top layers began to lean from the weight almost immediately. At least the guests all thought the cake was supposed to be leaning, you know, Dr. Suess style!!!  

The top layer was the trunk of Horton wrapped around and holding a flower. The middle layer was The Lorax and the bottom was Cat. I went with buttercream smoothed by Viva paper towels , rather than fondant. I know almost everybody dislikes fondant. I THREW this whole thing together so quickly.....it really bums me out that I didn't have more time to make it look good. I also made some chocolate cupcakes with caramel filling and buttercream frosting. 






Finally was the game table. I made up a game to go with the Dr. Suess theme and then bought a 
candy Dr. Suess game from etsy. The game I created was played by answering the questions I made up from Dr. Suess books and having two teams compete to find the answers within 1 minute. If the team found the answer in the book then they would spin to see how many spaces they could move on the board. (I used the board from The Cat in the Hat game that Stacy had). Example questions were: what was the first game they played, what did Thing 1 and Thing 2 bump on the wall, etc.



 Then I made some decorations for outside.....you know....because I couldn't stop drawing pictures!!



It was some of the most fun I have had throwing a party!!! I cannot wait until the next one.....well, maybe I can wait a little! ;)


Congratulations Stacy and Kris!! We cannot wait to meet your baby, sweet Dexton.

2 comments:

  1. Reeally Crystal. I am still not over the creative genius that you are. My goodness. I love how you said, "you know... because I couldn't stop drawing pictures"!! LOL Oh- your cake was amazing!!! The inspirational quotes put it over the top!!!

    ReplyDelete