Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Training for Ironman - Week 1


WEEK 1
June  4-11, 2013
I just finished up my first week of training for the half Ironman (and eventually the full Ironman!)!!  My prior training had been "getting workouts in when possible" and a few Crossfit classes. I still have TONS of baby weight......about 35-40 extra pounds!!!! So, I was a bit nervous to dive into hard-core training! However, it was much easier than I had anticipated. I think I have already learned a lot of things about my body, my mind, and triathlon training! 

Schedule

Monday:       Swam 30 min - (meaning, I learned how not to drown)
                     Ran 30 min - Only 2 miles!

Tuesday:     Swam 30 min - (with my bestie, Bobbie. Got a tiny bit better at my
                      technique and breathing.)
                    Ran 30 min  - (barely made 2 miles. They were in the 14 min/mile range.)




Wednesday: Bike 30 min with quick change to 15 min run. 

Thursday:      Bike 30 min - went 9.5 miles with the Hubby! Fun! We were interrupted early 
                        when the baby cried too long in the gym nursery. :(

Friday:           Ran 45 min - went 3.5 miles! (I ran on the treadmill, with the baby in the
                        bouncer and older kids watching a movie. No one disrupted me! Yay!)
Saturday: Bike - 1 hour, 22 miles. (My family waited in the car for me to finish!)
                     Swam - 30 min (worked on technique and breathing. I went 150m non-stop and     
                       250m total)

Sunday:        Ran 1 hour - (ran in the neighborhood, went 4.66 miles!)

Total: 6 hours - 7 days

Things I learned:

A. Songs I like to listen to while working out:
1. “My Body” by Young the Giant
2. “Stronger” by Mandisa
3. “Move” by MercyMe

B. I hate the first 15-20 minutes of running!!

C. Your body is much, MUCH more capable than anyone cares to admit. Before this week, I thought I could only run 1 mile at a verrrrrry slow pace. I learned that isn’t the case at all. My body AMAZED me this week. I started off by running 2 miles at a 15 min/mile pace and ended the week at 4.66 miles at a 12.5 min/mile pace!!!! I kept telling myself that impossible is not a word, it’s just a reason not to try.....keep on moving those legs!

No comments:

Post a Comment